Rava Dosa


I must have been close to 10 or 12 years old, when I promised to myself that I would never ever make anything my kids did not like. Little did I realize that with kids, constant exposure encouraged them to gradually develop and enhance their palettes. It's true with getting kids to eat vegetables. The more they are exposed, better are their chances of developing a liking to it. I am sure you guessed it, rava dosa was never a favorite of mine. I also realized, it was because of the overly rubbery texture of maida or all purpose flour and the taste of chopped ginger.

In my version, I do not add ginger for the kids, even if I do it, I make sure it is grated finely. It takes a while to love the taste of brisk spiciness when you bite into a chunk of ginger.


Ingredients

1 cup Rava or Semolina
1/4 cup Maida or All purpose powder
1/2 cup Rice flour
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1/4th cup chopped cilantro
1 chopped chilli or as desired
Salt as desired
Oil

Optional Ingredients
Finely Chopped Onions
Finely Grated Ginger

Method

Mix all the ingredients except oil in a mixing bowl and add water one cup at a time until you get a consistency of butter milk. If the Rava or Semoline is too fine, you may add another scoop of Rava. You can also fine tune the proportion to your taste. If the dosa turns out too rubbery, reduce all purpose flour; if the dosa dries up soon is a sign of too much rice flour.

Soak for a couple of hours before making the dosas.

When ready, heat the girdle and pour the batter forming an outer circle on the girdle gradually filling the inside. Small gaps help make the dosa crispier at places while allowing for oil to seep through it.

Pour in oil and let the side cook well. At this time, you may add a tsp of the chopped mixture of onions. Turn it over to cook the other side.

The rava dosa is not fermented and lacks the slight sour taste as in other dosas. Accompaniments that adds sourness like Tomato thokku works well with the rava dosa or simply eat it with sambar and chutney.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © NOME DO SEU BLOG

Design by Emporium Digital