Lighting Their Fires

 via

On a rare occasion when I get a couple of hours to myself, I like to grab a cup of chai latte or cappuccino and sift through books at Barnes and Nobles. During one of those visits, two books caught my attention; “Lighting Their Fires” by Rafe Esquith and “The Art of Choosing” by Sheena Iyengar. I made a mental note to myself to order these online and totally forgot about it until I came across Esquith’s book at the library.

The setting in this book is during a game between the Dodgers and the Cardinals as Esquith takes us through his 5th grade class in Hobart Elementary where kids come to school weekends, stay late, arrive early and perform Shakespeare plays. Upon further research, I found to my surprise that Hobart school is not an upscale prep school, like I thought it would be. Kids here come from troubled families but land up in good colleges with guidance from able teachers and parental involvement.

There is no “eureka” moment in the book but subtle reminders to parents and teachers to fall back on core values like modesty, humility, punctuality, patience, focus, knowledge, decision making and honesty. The book offers numerous activities to hone and attune the young minds.

The book is a good read and reminded me of a great teacher and author, E.R.Braithwaite, and his autobiographical novel “To Sir with Love".

6 comments:

SG September 29, 2010 at 10:58 PM  

Nice review on Lighting Their Fires. One of America's most celebrated educators teaches parents how to create extraordinary children—in the classroom and beyond.

GB September 30, 2010 at 5:02 AM  

Sounds like a good read; perhaps when I'm done with my current stack of books, I'll try to pick it up from the library. Thanks for the review.

Geeta,  September 30, 2010 at 8:13 PM  

SG - well said.

GB - Its worth a read.

Bhargavi September 30, 2010 at 9:49 PM  

I havent read To sir with love yet .. seen the movie though.. Lighting the fires sounded a bit like Frank Mc Court's The teacher Man ,the only difference being Frank taught much older kids.

shuchita September 30, 2010 at 11:48 PM  

Hey Geeta,
Thanks for the book review, I also love to grab a coffee and then browse through books.

STYLE'N October 7, 2010 at 5:04 AM  

wow this looks like a great book. Once you read it let us know how it is. I might want to pick up this book too :)
naina

Post a Comment

  © NOME DO SEU BLOG

Design by Emporium Digital